General Code of Conduct
Rules to be followed in laboratory / workshop / drawing hall
- Classes start from 9.30 a.m. and may continue up to 5.00 p.m. on all the five days of a week (Tuesday to Saturday). Students are advised to come institute by 9:25 am to attend classes. As per university rule 75% attendance is mandatory to appear semester end examination.
- Students must adhere to the Dress Code of the Institute.
- Use of mobile phones in the classrooms, Library, labs, workshop area etc.is strictly prohibited.
- Every student must carry his / her Identity Card while entering the campus and identify himself with help of the Identity Card whenever asked for.
- No guests / visitors shall be allowed with the students in the class/lab/ library.
- Students must help keep the institute neat and clean and also preserve and maintain the greeneries. Eatables / beverages are not allowed inside the study areas including labs, library, workshops. Students should have their tiffin inside the canteen or class room. Smoking is prohibited in the premises of the institute.
- Students must conserve electricity and water. They must switch off lights & fans when they leave the class room, laboratories.
Rules to be followed in Library
- All the labs follow certain safety and academic norms for their smooth functioning. Students are advised to keep themselves updated on those norms and follow them accordingly.
- Any removable data storage device or hardware attachments for software operations cannot be taken in or out without written approval of the department in charge. A violation of this will be considered as an intention for piracy / theft.
- While studying at the Institute, students will have to operate machines and tools carefully and observe all safety regulations and see that no damage is caused to self, others or to the Institute's property, machinery and equipment. In case it is found that they have caused any damage to the Institute's property they shall be required to reimburse or make good the damage caused. Any decision regarding the extent of their liability on such account shall be at the discretion of the Institute, which shall be final.
- The nature of learning in any program may require the students to purchase tools, stationary items from time to time. Specific instructions in this regard will be given by the concerned department / faculty at the beginning of various courses.
- In case of medical emergency in the laboratory, the student must inform the faculty member / technical assistant without any hesitation.
Tuesday to Saturday: 9:30 am to 6:30 pm
On working days the services of the following sections of the Central Library will remain open, as below:
Reading Room 9:30 am to 6:30 pm
Lending Section 9:30 am to 6 pm
Internet section 10 am to 6 pm
Membership Section 10 am to 5 pm
Under urgent, abnormal or unforeseen circumstances, the Library or any of its sections may be opened later or closed earlier than the scheduled hours at the discretion of Librarian or Principal or Executive Director, after proper intimation to all concerned.
- All registered students of the institute are eligible to become members of Central Library.
- To become a member of Central Library, a student has to submit 3 copies stamp size photograph, his/her address proof, Photocopy of College money receipt to the Library Assistant, who will further guide him/her regarding membership procedure. Readers shall always notify any change of his/her permanent address to the Librarian in writing.
- Membership to the library is not transferable.
- Library membership cards or other identity cards are to be shown, if demanded, at the time of entering into the library or whenever asked for in the library.
Conduct within the Library
- While in the library, all persons shall observe all basic and elementary principles of library ethics, obey the rules and procedures of the library, and maintain to discipline enforced by the Librarian.
- Dress code for students will be observed in the library even beyond class timings.
- Conversation, gossiping, sleeping, smoking, sitting on top of the table and loitering, speaking, use of mobile are not allowed in the library.
- The arrangement of chairs in the reading rooms should not be disturbed.
- Users are not allowed to distort or deface any book, magazine, newspaper. If a student requires any article, it may be photocopied with permission of the Librarian.
- No reader shall bring any non-member into the library, nor shall lend, even temporarily, library books borrowed by him to others.
- Without obtaining special permission from the Librarian, nobody shall enter the Stack-room or any part of the library, not ordinarily open to him.
- Any official of the institute or the security personnel will have the authority to examine everything that passes into or out of the library.
- Upon any infringement of the Library rules, students may forfeit the privileges and memberships.
- Readers detected to be acting in contravention to the above rules of library above shall be liable to be deprived of the facilities of the Reading Room temporarily or permanently.
- No reader who has been thus excluded from the privileges of the library shall be allowed to use the reading rooms or to borrow books unless and until such person be reinstated by the Library Committee.
- Every member of the library shall be responsible for the safe custody of any library book borrowed by him for study in the Library Reading Room or for use at home.
- Library books issued for use in the Reading Room shall not be taken out of the section without prior permission of the Librarian.
- Library books shall never be left unattended on the table in the Reading Room. The borrower shall be held responsible for loss, mutilation or damage, if any, while the book stands issued on his account.
User Category Privileges
College - Students 3 Books for 15 Days
Following activities shall be deemed as act of indiscipline
- No books shall be issued and delivered to any person other than a duly registered borrower in person. However in under exigencies a registered borrower can give authority in writing to another member to receive a book or books on his/ her behalf.
- At the time of borrowing a book either for use in the library reading room or for use at home, every borrower is expected to examine it carefully and bring to the notice of the Officer-in-Charge of the issue-counter, cases of mutilation, defacement or damage, if any, immediately; otherwise if any mutilation, defacement or damage be detected subsequently, the person to whom the book was issued last will be held responsible for such damage, defacement or mutilation.
- Borrowed items by college-students must be returned on or before the due date failing which the borrower will need to pay overdue charges at the following rate, for continuation of membership:
OVERDUE CHARGES: Rupees 2/- per day per book
- Absence, illness etc. are not acceptable excuses for waiver of overdue charges. However, if the due date falls on an institute holiday, the item may be returned on the next working day without any overdue charge.
- Repeated failure to return borrowed items on time and/or failure to return such items in spite of reminder(s), may lead to denial of borrowing facility for a period to be decided by the Librarian.
- Before leaving the return counter at the time of returning a borrowed item, the student should make sure that his/her responsibility is duly discharged by canceling the item against his/her name.
- Students found defaulters in respect of returning library books more than twice in the course of two consecutive months or those who do not return books after a third reminder may be denied privileges and facilities of the library, both reference and lending, by the Librarian.
- In case of loss of a library card a duplicate card may be issued, at the discretion of the Librarian, for which a fee of Rupees 10/- per card will have to be paid. Another duplicate library card for Students be issued against a charge of Rupees 100/- per card. Thereafter no duplicate card shall be issued.
- Reference materials, loose issue of periodicals and CD-ROMs/DVDs, Project Reports are among items which are not meant to be issued.
- A student can renew an item only once, provided there is no requisition for that particular item.
Penalties for minor disciplinary violation
- i) Disruption of, or improper interference with the academic, administrative, sporting, social or other activities of the institute, whether on institute premises or elsewhere
- ii) Using abusive language and creating nuisance in the premises of this institute, disturbing the peace and independent rights of fellow students and faculty members;
- iii) Violent, indecent, disorderly, threatening or offensive behavior or language and action likely to cause injury or impair safety on this premises;whilst on SDET-BGI or engaged in any activity in SDET-BGI or for SDET-BGI;
- iv) Fraud, deceit, deception, dishonesty or theft in relation to this institute or its staff, or in connection with holding any office in SDET-BGI, or in relation to being a student of this institute;
- v) Action likely to cause sexual or racial harassment of any student, member of staff or other employee of this institute or any authorized visitor of this institute;
- vi) Damage to, or defacement of, SDET-BGI property caused intentionally or recklessly, or misappropriation of such property which includes , damaging library books, resources and furniture like cupboards / lockers / file cabinets / walls /doors/ windows/ white board / tables / equipment / chairs etc. by way of writing names/painting/scribbling etc.;
- vii) Misuse or unauthorized use of the institute premises or items of property, including computer misuse;
- viii) Being instrumental directly or indirectly for mass absenteeism or boycott of classes resulting in vitiating the atmosphere of the Institute;Threatening, physically preventing or using any other means from preventing the students from attending classes;
- ix) Consuming drugs, alcohol or any other activity in Campus/ Hostel which is construed as a societal offence at large;
Where the violation is considered minor by the Competent Authority, the following penalties may be imposed at the discretion of the Competent Authority for minor disciplinary violations:
Penalties for major disciplinary violation
- A warning to be issued to the student for first offence may not be placed in the students' record. However, in case of a repeat offence the censure may be placed on the student's record and may invite action;
- A fine may be imposed for each violation / offence;
- Withholding scholarship or other benefits/ grade cards / offer letters
When violation is considered major by the Competent Authority, the following penalties may be imposed for the major disciplinary violations:
Penalties for ragging
- Suspension / debarment from the institute/ hostel where the student will be declared 'persona-non-grata' and will be debarred from entering the premises, facilities and from attending the classes or;
- Permanent expulsion from the institute or;
- The defaulter may be debarred form taking an examination or examinations for one year ormore than oneyear.
- Any other course of action which may be reasonable in the circumstances.
As per Supreme Court Judgment ragging is - any disorderly conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, Indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not do in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student.
The punishment may also take the shape of:
(i) withholding scholarships or other benefits
(ii) debarring from representation in events
(iii) withhold results
(iv) suspend or expel from hostel or institute